Good Day, Bad Day
Automatic bill pay, clearing the air
OOD DAY FOR: Automatic bill pay, after phone companies have repeatedly shut off FBI wiretap operations due to unpaid phone bills, according to a Justice Department audit. The department’s inspector general, Glenn Fine, said that almost half the 1,000 FBI phone bills reviewed were paid late. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Clearing the air, after the owner of a 10-person German IT firm fired three non-smoking employees after they requested that the office go smoke-free. A new German law bans smoking in bars and restaurants, but not small offices. “I can’t be bothered with trouble-makers,” said the owner. “Everyone picks on smokers these days. It’s time for revenge.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week