Good Day, Bad Day
Automatic bill pay, clearing the air
OOD DAY FOR: Automatic bill pay, after phone companies have repeatedly shut off FBI wiretap operations due to unpaid phone bills, according to a Justice Department audit. The department’s inspector general, Glenn Fine, said that almost half the 1,000 FBI phone bills reviewed were paid late. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Clearing the air, after the owner of a 10-person German IT firm fired three non-smoking employees after they requested that the office go smoke-free. A new German law bans smoking in bars and restaurants, but not small offices. “I can’t be bothered with trouble-makers,” said the owner. “Everyone picks on smokers these days. It’s time for revenge.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
Subscribe to the Week