Good Day, Bad Day
Automatic bill pay, clearing the air
OOD DAY FOR: Automatic bill pay, after phone companies have repeatedly shut off FBI wiretap operations due to unpaid phone bills, according to a Justice Department audit. The department’s inspector general, Glenn Fine, said that almost half the 1,000 FBI phone bills reviewed were paid late. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Clearing the air, after the owner of a 10-person German IT firm fired three non-smoking employees after they requested that the office go smoke-free. A new German law bans smoking in bars and restaurants, but not small offices. “I can’t be bothered with trouble-makers,” said the owner. “Everyone picks on smokers these days. It’s time for revenge.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week