Good Day, Bad Day
Automatic bill pay, clearing the air
OOD DAY FOR: Automatic bill pay, after phone companies have repeatedly shut off FBI wiretap operations due to unpaid phone bills, according to a Justice Department audit. The department’s inspector general, Glenn Fine, said that almost half the 1,000 FBI phone bills reviewed were paid late. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Clearing the air, after the owner of a 10-person German IT firm fired three non-smoking employees after they requested that the office go smoke-free. A new German law bans smoking in bars and restaurants, but not small offices. “I can’t be bothered with trouble-makers,” said the owner. “Everyone picks on smokers these days. It’s time for revenge.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- When will the Big One strike California?
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week