Good week for: Thor, after a Utah inmate sued for the right to practice the Asatru religion behind bars. To observe the Norse religion properly, Michael Polk says he needs a mead horn used for drinking wassail, a drum made of wood and boar skin, a rune staff, and a reasonable facsimile of Thor’s hammer.
Bad week for: Cabin fever, with the news that the holiday festivities among U.S. scientists and staff at isolated research stations in Antarctica got a little out of hand. A Santa Claus groped female scientists, a drunken staffer went on a wild joy ride on a four-wheel-drive vehicle, and two workers filled with holiday cheer had a punch-out resulting in a broken jaw.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
Subscribe to the Week