Good week for: Thor, after a Utah inmate sued for the right to practice the Asatru religion behind bars. To observe the Norse religion properly, Michael Polk says he needs a mead horn used for drinking wassail, a drum made of wood and boar skin, a rune staff, and a reasonable facsimile of Thor’s hammer.
Bad week for: Cabin fever, with the news that the holiday festivities among U.S. scientists and staff at isolated research stations in Antarctica got a little out of hand. A Santa Claus groped female scientists, a drunken staffer went on a wild joy ride on a four-wheel-drive vehicle, and two workers filled with holiday cheer had a punch-out resulting in a broken jaw.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week