Good week for: Thor, after a Utah inmate sued for the right to practice the Asatru religion behind bars. To observe the Norse religion properly, Michael Polk says he needs a mead horn used for drinking wassail, a drum made of wood and boar skin, a rune staff, and a reasonable facsimile of Thor’s hammer.
Bad week for: Cabin fever, with the news that the holiday festivities among U.S. scientists and staff at isolated research stations in Antarctica got a little out of hand. A Santa Claus groped female scientists, a drunken staffer went on a wild joy ride on a four-wheel-drive vehicle, and two workers filled with holiday cheer had a punch-out resulting in a broken jaw.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How Democrats might goad the GOP into shutting down the government
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week