New polls show that John McCain, whose campaign was written off last summer, is now the top choice among Republicans nationally. McCain got a big boost from his victory in New Hampshire’s primary. But the race for the GOP nomination is still up in the air—three quarters of respondents in one poll said it was too early for them to make up their minds “for sure.” (MSNBC)
What the commentators said
The GOP is “begging” for trouble if it nominates McCain, said John Hawkins in Townhall.com. The man is “wildly out of step with the views of the majority” of Republicans. “Amongst grassroots conservatives, John McCain's name is an expletive—and for good reason—because he has made a name for himself by knifing conservatives time and time again for the amusement of his liberal pals in the mainstream media.”
“It seems to make no sense,” said Michael Tomasky in the London Guardian, but it looks like McCain is the GOP’s man. McCain riles up the party’s social conservatives and “radical anti-taxers,” but, thanks to the appeal to independents, he’s “now just a handful of victories away from locking up the Republican nomination.”
“McCain is prevailing because he is the perfect candidate for a dying party,” said Richard Reeves in Yahoo! News. He’ll probably lose in November, and, even if he wins, he’s too old to have a strong shot at a second term. That makes him the “perfect transitional standard for the Republicans as they rebuild and reinvent themselves after November of 2008. He will be as respected as he will be ignored.”
McCain’s newfound popularity is no accident, and nothing to be dismissed, said Fred Barnes in The Weekly Standard. He boldly supported President Bush’s decision to send a surge of troops into Iraq, and he suffered when the policy was unpopular. But now that things are looking up in Iraq the gamble is paying off.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
Subscribe to the Week