The FBI is spending $1 billion to create a computer database of faces, iris patterns, and other biometric data. When completed, the “Next Generation Identification” system could allow law enforcement officials to instantly check anyone’s picture against a list of millions of felons, fugitives, and suspected terrorists. - The Washington Post
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- How to be optimistic, according to science
Subscribe to the Week