An inmate who injured himself breaking out of a Colorado jail is suing on the grounds that guards should have done more to stop him escaping. Scott Gomez Jr. claims he was badly injured when he fell 40 feet while attempting to scale down the outside wall of the Pueblo County jail. Prison authorities, Gomez complains, “did next to nothing to ensure that the jail was secure and that the plaintiff could not escape.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
Subscribe to the Week