Britney the absent mom
A judge denied Britney Spears the right to visit her sons for at least another month after she showed up for a custody hearing, but didn't go inside the courthouse. Spears wanted to fight for her kids, apparently, said Sarah Hall in E! Online. At least sh
A Los Angeles family-court judge decided not to restore Britney Spears’ right to visit her two sons—at least not until after a Feb. 19 hearing in her custody battle with her former husband and backup dancer Kevin Federline. Spears showed up for an afternoon session of the hearing on Monday, but left without entering the courthouse after she was mobbed by paparazzi. (New York Post, free registration)
What the commentators said
“Britney Spears may not be completely lacking in maternal instincts after all,” said Sarah Hall in E! Online. After her lawyer implored her to show up for the hearing, at least she got in the car and drove over, “ostensibly to fight for her kids.” She lost visitation rights after she refused to give Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 16 months, back and was briefly hospitalized after a three-hour showdown with police.
Britney delivered gossip addicts yet another “bizarre and chaotic” scene, said Ken Lee and Howard Breuer in People.com. With paparazzi surrounding her, she said, “I’m scared,” and jumped back into her car. Police even tried to “coax” her out, but she said no, and left.
The lawyers “strongly advised” Spears to at least show up, said the blog Hecklerspray, but they meant “actually going into the courtroom itself.” Taking off without going inside amounted to “rubberstamping the loss of her children.” But the real lesson here for “all you young mothers” is that, “if you want to see your kids, perhaps it's not the best idea to barricade yourself topless in a bathroom with them and swear a lot until you're eventually taken to the brain hospital on a stretcher.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Are hedge funds doomed?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week