A Jackson comeback?
Michael Jackson released a new version of his song
Michael Jackson released a new version of his song “The Girl Is Mine” online Tuesday, and is rumored to be planning both a solo tour and a reunion tour with his brothers as The Jackson Five. But critics wonder if the former King of Pop has fallen too far to make a comeback.
What the commentators said
Remember the last time Michael Jackson tried to make a comeback? said the Times Online. It was a “disaster.” He was “booked to perform at the World Music Awards in London” back in 2006, “but managed only a few faltering notes.” But his return to the spotlight this time does seem “more ambitious”: For the new version of “The Girl Is Mine,” he collaborated with Will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas, and the upcoming 25th anniversary edition of Thriller features “remixes by hip-hop heavyweights Akon and Kanye West.”
Well, it’s really do-or-die time for Jackson, said the blog Hollyscoop. He “has accumulated over $300 million dollars in debt, which he needs to start paying off somehow.” Apparently, he’s “in talks to do a series of live shows in London,” which could earn him “up to $30 million.” That’s a start—“if he gets his act together and actually comes through with the shows.”
The “bottom line is that Jackson is still an icon,” said Greg Kot in the Chicago Tribune, “despite a litany of tabloid indiscretions that would’ve crushed most careers and reputations.” And although he “hasn’t made much in the way of compelling new music in at least a decade,” luckily, somebody else has his back: Chicago rapper Rhymefest’s new release Man in the Mirror (The Michael Jackson Dedication Album) could go a long way toward putting Jackson back on top. It “freely dips into the Jackson back catalog” and “rearranges this material into a fascinating virtual collaboration between two artists of different generations who have never met.” Not only do “sparks fly,” but Jackson “is portrayed as a gentle eccentric with musical chops to burn.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
Subscribe to the Week