Best Business Commentary
New Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit should consider whether his “oft-troubled bank has become too big to succeed,” says The Wall Street Journal in an editorial. Wall Street showed “little loving for Apple” after CEO Steve Jobs’ big Macworld keynote, says Pete
itigroup needs a trim
New Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit should consider whether his “oft-troubled bank has become too big to succeed,” says The Wall Street Journal in an editorial. Citigroup “has shown a knack for finding the middle of whatever financial mess is in the news,” and its massive size “has not so much provided stability as a place for problems to hide.” Still, despite its $10 billion “black eye” yesterday, the bank has many “great businesses” in its fold that could be sold off to raise capital and stave off a “taxpayer rescue.” Pandit presumably wants to “run Citi, not dismantle it.” But “if it has become too big to fail but too large to succeed, a breakup might be better for all concerned.”
Apple’s delayed bite
Wall Street showed “little loving for Apple” after CEO Steve Jobs’ big Macworld keynote, says Peter Burrows in BusinessWeek.com, but “the disappointment won’t last.” Apple’s new products—a super slim laptop, an updated Apple TV, and video rentals—weren’t as “unexpected or as dramatic” as last year’s iPhone, but they will let Apple build on the demand it has created. The video rentals, especially, will help Apple make a play for the TV set, “by far the most-used screen in most homes for entertainment.” So while Apple shares fell 5.5 percent yesterday, Blockbuster’s “plunged 17 percent amid concern Apple will eat into its film-rental business.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week