Good Day, Bad Day
Self-actualization, British smiles
OOD DAY FOR: Self-actualization, after Oprah Winfrey reached a deal with Discovery Communications to launch her own cable channel in 2009. The channel, OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, will combine Winfrey’s Oprah-dot-com Web site and the Discovery Health Channel. But she can’t move her syndicated talk show to OWN until 2011, when her contract with King World Productions ends. (USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: British smiles, after dentists in the U.K. cut back on receiving National Health Service patients following an April 2006 contract change. Two-thirds of Britons see NHS dentists, but private dental insurance is getting more popular, rising 31 percent in 2006. According to a survey released today, though, 36 percent of Britons just haven’t seen a dentist in two years. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week