t wasn't all bad
A window cleaner who fell 47 stories in Manhattan is not only alive and talking but may walk again. Alcides Moreno survived a 500-foot plunge when his platform collapsed on Dec. 7; the accident killed his brother, Edgar. Though he was near death for two weeks, on Christmas Day Moreno spoke and reached out to touch his nurse’s face. Moreno’s doctors now say his recovery could be complete within a year. “If you are a believer in miracles, this would be one,” said Dr. Philip Barie, chief of critical care at New York–Presbyterian Hospital. “Above 10 stories, most of the time, we never see the patients because they usually go to the morgue.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Game of Thrones recap: 'The Lion and the Rose'
Subscribe to the Week