It wasn't all bad
A window cleaner who fell 47 stories in Manhattan is not only alive and talking but may walk again. Alcides Moreno survived a 500-foot plunge when his platform collapsed on Dec. 7; the accident killed his brother, Edgar. Though he was near death for two weeks, on Christmas Day Moreno spoke and reached out to touch his nurse’s face. Moreno’s doctors now say his recovery could be complete within a year. “If you are a believer in miracles, this would be one,” said Dr. Philip Barie, chief of critical care at New York–Presbyterian Hospital. “Above 10 stories, most of the time, we never see the patients because they usually go to the morgue.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Painting the universe's portrait
Subscribe to the Week