It wasn't all bad
A window cleaner who fell 47 stories in Manhattan is not only alive and talking but may walk again. Alcides Moreno survived a 500-foot plunge when his platform collapsed on Dec. 7; the accident killed his brother, Edgar. Though he was near death for two weeks, on Christmas Day Moreno spoke and reached out to touch his nurse’s face. Moreno’s doctors now say his recovery could be complete within a year. “If you are a believer in miracles, this would be one,” said Dr. Philip Barie, chief of critical care at New York–Presbyterian Hospital. “Above 10 stories, most of the time, we never see the patients because they usually go to the morgue.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week