Death of a chess legend
Chess genius Bobby Fischer died in Iceland. Fischer's passing would have inspired more "widespread mourning," said Jeff Gordon in a St. Louis Post-Dispatch blog, if he hadn't spent his last years spouting anti-American and anti-Semitic hate.
Combative chess genius Bobby Fischer, 62, died of an undisclosed illness on Thursday in Iceland. Fischer, who became a Cold War hero by defeating Russian Boris Spassky in 1972, lived his last decades in seclusion, emerging periodically to deliver eccentric, sometimes anti-Semitic rants on the radio. (The New York Times, free registration)
What the commentators said
It’s a shame Fischer’s passing didn’t inspire “widespread mourning,” said Jeff Gordon in a St. Louis Post-Dispatch blog. The problem is, “his strident anti-American and anti-Semitic views kept him on the fringe of society.” The dignified chess champion Garry Kasparov put it gracefully by saying that Fischer’s ravings did nothing to improve the image of chess.
“Fischer was a jerk,” said Bill Ordine in a Baltimore Sun blog. There’s no denying that. That was already apparent in his prime, when his constant gripes stood in stark contrast to the “gracious and urbane” Spassky. But the poor guy merely lived the all-too-familiar life of a genius who lost himself after reaching “the pinnacle of his life” too young.
Fischer sure shook up the chess world as a kid, said Sarah Phillips in a London Guardian blog. He “dropped out of school to nurture his talent.” Then he instantly became a Cold War icon by toppling the Soviet champion Spassky. Nobody managed to figure him out in his eccentric later years, but his “story is not likely to be forgotten.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week