People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has asked that a man awaiting trial for cannibalism be forced to become vegetarian. Christopher McCuin, 25, was arrested and charged earlier this month with killing, cooking, and partially eating his girlfriend. Now a letter from PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich to prison officials asks that he be prevented from “contributing to any more suffering and death by placing him on a healthy, humane vegetarian diet.” The request will not be honored, prison officials say, and McCuin will “be fed like everyone else.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week