eople for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has asked that a man awaiting trial for cannibalism be forced to become vegetarian. Christopher McCuin, 25, was arrested and charged earlier this month with killing, cooking, and partially eating his girlfriend. Now a letter from PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich to prison officials asks that he be prevented from “contributing to any more suffering and death by placing him on a healthy, humane vegetarian diet.” The request will not be honored, prison officials say, and McCuin will “be fed like everyone else.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week