People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has asked that a man awaiting trial for cannibalism be forced to become vegetarian. Christopher McCuin, 25, was arrested and charged earlier this month with killing, cooking, and partially eating his girlfriend. Now a letter from PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich to prison officials asks that he be prevented from “contributing to any more suffering and death by placing him on a healthy, humane vegetarian diet.” The request will not be honored, prison officials say, and McCuin will “be fed like everyone else.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week