It wasn't all bad
When a relative gave Gan Shugen of Chengdu City, China, a chicken stuffed in a thick plastic bag, its legs bound with tape, he figured it was dead and put it in his freezer. Two days later, upon opening the door, he found it was very much alive. “I heard weak sounds and when I opened the bag a head popped out,” he said. “It was still warm and when I removed the tape, she could stand.” Gan will now keep the chicken as a pet. “If she survived in a freezer for two days,” said Li Fazhi, a Chinese veterinarian, “that’s magic.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week