It wasn't all bad
When a relative gave Gan Shugen of Chengdu City, China, a chicken stuffed in a thick plastic bag, its legs bound with tape, he figured it was dead and put it in his freezer. Two days later, upon opening the door, he found it was very much alive. “I heard weak sounds and when I opened the bag a head popped out,” he said. “It was still warm and when I removed the tape, she could stand.” Gan will now keep the chicken as a pet. “If she survived in a freezer for two days,” said Li Fazhi, a Chinese veterinarian, “that’s magic.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week