Crunch time for Obama
Barack Obama heads into South Carolina's Saturday Democratic primary with a double-digit lead, partly due to a big lead among African Americans. Obama has to win this one to prove he has broad appeal going into Super Tuesday, said David Broder in The Wash
Barack Obama pulled into a double-digit lead over Hillary Clinton in South Carolina polls ahead of the state’s Saturday Democratic primary. Obama is favored to win, thanks in part to a big lead among African Americans—who account for nearly half of the state’s eligible Democratic voters. (Reuters)
What the commentators said
Obama has to win South Carolina, said David Broder in The Washington Post (free registration). His only win—in Iowa on Jan. 3—is slipping “further into history” as Clinton gains momentum thanks to her victories in New Hampshire and Nevada. Obama badly needs to show that he has national appeal before the crucial wave of primaries on Feb. 5.
Hillary knows she’ll lose South Carolina, said Dick Morris in The Hill (via RealClearPolitics), but the surge of support from a bloc of black voters will end up costing Obama—the first African American with a real chance to get nominated. It will send the message to white voters that “this is a racial fight,” and the backlash will power Clinton’s “drive to the nomination.”
If Obama has been “ghettoized” as the black candidate, said Mickey Kaus in Slate, his best move is to “find a Sister Souljah” to “stiff arm.” The “most-promising” target is “not a person, but an idea: race-based affirmative action.” If Obama comes out in favor of “shifting to a class-based, race-blind system of preferences”—something he has already suggested he supports—“wouldn't that shock hostile white voters into taking a second look at his candidacy?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- California's epic drought
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week