Good Day, Bad Day
A recount, analog audiophiles
OOD DAY FOR: A recount, after GM regained the title of world’s top automaker in 2007—its 77th consecutive year as No. 1—just hours after No. 2 Toyota revised its sales figures downward. Toyota originally reported 9.37 million vehicles sold, versus GM’s 9,369,524, but later said it had sold only 9.366 million. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Analog audiophiles, after the record industry’s global trade group said that digital music sales rose 40 percent last year, to $2.9 billion, but are still not rising enough to counter plummeting CD sales. The group, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, said illegal downloads are still beating paid ones, 20 to 1. Digital downloads make up 15 percent of music sales now. (AP in USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week