In Burlington, Vermont—set between Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains, with a population of 40,000—the residents are “so welcoming,” said Kerri Westenberg on StarTribune.com, that in less than 24 hours there I already “felt like an insider.” At a fundraiser for some farmers who had been flooded out, I “mingled with artists with tattoos, tanned and fit parents of young kids, bearded students from the University of Vermont.” More opportunities to chat with locals came at the farmers’ market, which is held every Saturday from May through October in the town square and has “the feel of a community celebration.” The town is full of “well-tended, stately Victorian and Georgian homes,” but still “deserves its outdoorsy, hippie reputation”: In the brick-paved, open air pedestrian mall, a street musician played Pete Seeger songs and “bikes overflowed a bike rack.” Down by the waterfront, boats offer sightseeing tours, and walking and biking trails “stretch for miles in either direction.”
Further up north in Bar Harbor, Maine, Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island is a haven for outdoors-types of all ages, and offers spectacular views of the rocky Maine coast, said Karen Samelson on JSOnline.com. It’s “the perfect vacation spot for families,” with tons of diverse, kid-friendly activities, such as “hiking on flat paths or climbing up vertical iron ladders,” kayaking, biking on “rustic carriage trails,” or looking for “creature filled” tide pools. Visitors may also spot “a peregrine falcon, fox or, on rare occasions, a moose.” To appreciate the full experience, avoid staying in the often-congested town of Bar Harbor and camp at one of the many campgrounds in Acadia instead. Blackwoods Campground “is only five miles from stores and restaurants in Bar Harbor but seems a world away.”
- The man who sued his wife for birthing an ugly baby
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
Subscribe to the Week