Exit, stage left
Dennis Kucinich has signaled that he will quit the Democratic race, said Jason Zengerle in The New Republic's The Plank blog. "Good riddance," his left-leaning presidential campaign was "an ego trip," and he'll be lucky to win a tough
Dennis Kucinich has signaled that he will quit the Democratic presidential race. A long-shot, left-leaning candidate running for the Democratic nomination for a second time, Kucinich faces a strong Democratic primary challenge for his Cleveland-area congressional seat. His main challenger, Joe Cimperman, has been attacking Kucinich for being a “part-time congressman” who is neglecting his district to run for president. (Politico)
What the commentators said
I say “good riddance,” said Jason Zengerle in The New Republic’s The Plank blog. I had sort of assumed Kucinich’s “ego trip” of a campaign would drag on almost until the Democratic convention, like his 2004 run. But with the tough fight to hold on to his congressional seat brewing in Cleveland, I guess his “active fantasy life” has to play back seat to “his day job.”
Kucinich’s “sincere, issue-oriented” campaign was “more than an ego trip,” said John Nichols in The Nation. But it was doomed by a cold shoulder from the “media managers of the 2008 presidential contest,” who barred him from debates and ignored his campaign. Kucinich successfully “influenced the national debate for the better,” however, and the 2008 race “is diminished by his exit.”
Eh, “Kucinich was never a real factor in the Democratic race,” said Chris Cilizza in The Washington Post’s The Fix blog. But his “quixotic bid” did “give voice to the party’s most liberal elements,” focusing attention on the Iraq war. But now he has a war “in his own backyard.” In challenger Cimperman’s recent ad, he accuses Kucinich of missing more votes than any other congressman, and adds, “You are so fired.” Wow. The ad “is a winner.” We’ll see about Kucinich.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week