The Bottom Line
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard.
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard. Shares of Ambac, down 87 percent in a year, rose in European trading. Ambac and other bond insurers expanded from covering municipal bonds to insuring CDOs and subprime mortgages, and they’re now dealing with steep losses. “Many of these troubled properties will find someone’s arms to jump into at some price,” said Robert Doll at BlackRock. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week