The Bottom Line
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard.
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard. Shares of Ambac, down 87 percent in a year, rose in European trading. Ambac and other bond insurers expanded from covering municipal bonds to insuring CDOs and subprime mortgages, and they’re now dealing with steep losses. “Many of these troubled properties will find someone’s arms to jump into at some price,” said Robert Doll at BlackRock. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week