The Bottom Line
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard.
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard. Shares of Ambac, down 87 percent in a year, rose in European trading. Ambac and other bond insurers expanded from covering municipal bonds to insuring CDOs and subprime mortgages, and they’re now dealing with steep losses. “Many of these troubled properties will find someone’s arms to jump into at some price,” said Robert Doll at BlackRock. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week