The Bottom Line
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard.
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard. Shares of Ambac, down 87 percent in a year, rose in European trading. Ambac and other bond insurers expanded from covering municipal bonds to insuring CDOs and subprime mortgages, and they’re now dealing with steep losses. “Many of these troubled properties will find someone’s arms to jump into at some price,” said Robert Doll at BlackRock. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
Subscribe to the Week