The Bottom Line
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard.
Billionaire Wilbur Ross is seriously considering a bid for ailing bond insurer Ambac Financial Group, according to a report in British paper the Evening Standard. Shares of Ambac, down 87 percent in a year, rose in European trading. Ambac and other bond insurers expanded from covering municipal bonds to insuring CDOs and subprime mortgages, and they’re now dealing with steep losses. “Many of these troubled properties will find someone’s arms to jump into at some price,” said Robert Doll at BlackRock. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week