Best Business Commentary
Microsoft’s bid for Yahoo! isn’t anticompetitive, no matter what Google claims, says The New York Times in an editorial. Economic “decoupling” doesn’t seem to be working, says Andrew Schneider in Kiplinger.com.
oogle’s anticompetitive canard
Microsoft’s bid for Yahoo! isn’t anticompetitive, no matter what Google claims, says The New York Times in an editorial. Yes, Microsoft has “a troubling history of bullying—and even worse—to undercut all challengers,” but Google’s objections to the deal are “self-serving and disingenuous.” If anyone is the Internet’s “800-pound gorilla,” it’s Google, which dominates the “lucrative search market” and collects more online ad revenue than Yahoo! and Microsoft combined. Antitrust regulators need to stay “eternally vigilant against Microsoft’s baser instincts,” but if Google can’t make more than “vague insinuations” about the deal, it should stop its “empty whining.”
Global economies still need cold medicine
Economic “decoupling” doesn’t seem to be working, says Andrew Schneider in Kiplinger.com. The theory is that other nations have developed strong enough domestic markets to withstand a U.S. slowdown. But the global effects of recent “bad news” from Wall Street has shown, “sometimes harshly,” other countries’ dependence on U.S. demand—we buy 15 percent of the world’s exports, after all. Thanks to the weak dollar, global trade will actually “soothe,” but not “rescue,” the U.S. economy. But for everyone else, that “old saw about the rest of the world catching a cold when the U.S. sneezes still has more than a little truth to it.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week