Mellencamp stops McCain
Rocker and outspoken Democrat John Mellencamp has asked that Republican presidential candidate John McCain stop using his songs on the campaign trail, according to Rolling Stone. It seems like
Rocker and outspoken Democrat John Mellencamp has asked that Republican presidential candidate John McCain stop using his songs while on the campaign trail, according to Rolling Stone. McCain has been playing Mellencamp’s “Our Country” and “Pink Houses” at political rallies, which prompted Mellencamp to make the request.
What the commentators said
This isn’t the first time something like this has happened, said The First Post. “In 1984, the Ronald Reagan re-election campaign briefly used ‘Born in the USA,’ an anti-Vietnam War song, as a campaign rouser, without permission, until Bruce Springsteen, a lifelong Democrat, insisted that they stop.” And Barack Obama “has used ‘Only in America’ by the Country & Western duo Brooks and Dunn, although Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn were supporters of President Bush in 2004.”
Why was McCain using Mellencamp’s songs in the first place? said Rolling Stone’s blog Rock & Roll Daily. Those “far-right types whose votes McCain is seeking” probably don’t appreciate “the mildly progressive lyrics to ‘Our Country,’ which call on the government to ‘help the poor and common man’ and suggest that ‘there’s room enough here for science to live/And there’s room enough here for religion to forgive.’”
It seems like “die-hard Democrat John Mellencamp” was trying to “shame” McCain “a little,” said Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts in the Washington Post, and “it seems to have worked.” One of McCain’s reps said that the campaign is no longer playing Mellencamp’s songs.
“This leaves McCain in a real bind,” said Brandon Barker in AOL’s Political Machine blog. “With his campaign gathering support and delegates,” now is “the time for his staff to nail down a campaign song—and during this stormy political season, Toby Keith is just not going to cut it.” And with “patriotic artists like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and John Mellencamp off limits to conservatives,” where will McCain turn?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week