Pop diva Cher announced Thursday that she is coming out of retirement on May 6 to begin a three-year, 200-show engagement at Caesers Palace in Las Vegas. “Cher at The Colosseum”—a 90-minute show—will run four nights a week, and is expected to earn the legendary performer as much as $60 million.
What the commentators said
Isn’t this “like the fifth time she’s coming back after retiring?” said the blog Hollyscoop. But still, it will be great “to see Cher on stage” again—she’s an amazing performer, her shows are a lot of “fun,” and she “knows how to work the crowd.”
“It seems like Cher’s Farewell Tour” in 2005 “represented less of a goodbye and more of a see you later,” said Sarah Hall in E! Online. And lucky for us: In Vegas, “her repertoire will include songs from the entire 44-year span of her career,” and will “feature elaborate choreography, incorporating 14 dancers and four aerialists, as well as flashy costume’s by Cher’s designer of choice, Bob Mackie.”
And “Cher is no stranger to the Strip,” said Mike Weatherford in the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “She first played the Flamingo as Pat Boone’s opening act in 1969, when she and late ex-husband Sonny Bono performed as Sonny & Cher.”
It seems like Cher may need to get back on stage, as much as she wants to, said ABC7News.com. “Even with all her successes, Cher has had difficulties—the gay icon said she suffers from depression.” Apparently, “work eases her depression, which may explain why she keeps coming back for more.”
Well, if her past is any indication, said Edna Gunderson in USA Today, then this comeback will be another success. “Cher beat the odds at every turn in her” long career—she’s truly an “indestructible diva.”
- The man who sued his wife for birthing an ugly baby
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
Subscribe to the Week