Good Day, Bad Day
Accountants, TV advertisers
OOD DAY FOR: Accountants, as up to 20 million lower-income taxpayers, veterans, and pensioners who don’t normally file taxes will have to this year it they want their stimulus rebate checks. The stipulation is in the fine print of the stimulus package signed yesterday. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: TV advertisers, as steep strike-related viewership declines at NBC, ABC, and CBS have not affected high advertising rates, which were set before the Nielsen ratings and economy started going south. Fox is the only network where ratings are up for the 18-49 age demographic. For the other three, “as old favorites return with new episodes, audiences will return,” predicted ad buyer Bill Carroll. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
Subscribe to the Week