Good Day, Bad Day
Accountants, TV advertisers
OOD DAY FOR: Accountants, as up to 20 million lower-income taxpayers, veterans, and pensioners who don’t normally file taxes will have to this year it they want their stimulus rebate checks. The stipulation is in the fine print of the stimulus package signed yesterday. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: TV advertisers, as steep strike-related viewership declines at NBC, ABC, and CBS have not affected high advertising rates, which were set before the Nielsen ratings and economy started going south. Fox is the only network where ratings are up for the 18-49 age demographic. For the other three, “as old favorites return with new episodes, audiences will return,” predicted ad buyer Bill Carroll. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week