Good Day, Bad Day
Accountants, TV advertisers
OOD DAY FOR: Accountants, as up to 20 million lower-income taxpayers, veterans, and pensioners who don’t normally file taxes will have to this year it they want their stimulus rebate checks. The stipulation is in the fine print of the stimulus package signed yesterday. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: TV advertisers, as steep strike-related viewership declines at NBC, ABC, and CBS have not affected high advertising rates, which were set before the Nielsen ratings and economy started going south. Fox is the only network where ratings are up for the 18-49 age demographic. For the other three, “as old favorites return with new episodes, audiences will return,” predicted ad buyer Bill Carroll. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week