Good Day, Bad Day
Accountants, TV advertisers
OOD DAY FOR: Accountants, as up to 20 million lower-income taxpayers, veterans, and pensioners who don’t normally file taxes will have to this year it they want their stimulus rebate checks. The stipulation is in the fine print of the stimulus package signed yesterday. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: TV advertisers, as steep strike-related viewership declines at NBC, ABC, and CBS have not affected high advertising rates, which were set before the Nielsen ratings and economy started going south. Fox is the only network where ratings are up for the 18-49 age demographic. For the other three, “as old favorites return with new episodes, audiences will return,” predicted ad buyer Bill Carroll. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week