Good Day, Bad Day
Accountants, TV advertisers
OOD DAY FOR: Accountants, as up to 20 million lower-income taxpayers, veterans, and pensioners who don’t normally file taxes will have to this year it they want their stimulus rebate checks. The stipulation is in the fine print of the stimulus package signed yesterday. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: TV advertisers, as steep strike-related viewership declines at NBC, ABC, and CBS have not affected high advertising rates, which were set before the Nielsen ratings and economy started going south. Fox is the only network where ratings are up for the 18-49 age demographic. For the other three, “as old favorites return with new episodes, audiences will return,” predicted ad buyer Bill Carroll. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week