‘Star Wars’ gets animated
George Lucas announced recently that his latest 'Star Wars' movie, 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars,' will be completely animated and will open in theaters Aug. 15. “This is incredible news for any 'Star Wars' fan,” said Michael Prince in Blogcritics Magazine.
George Lucas announced recently that his latest Star Wars movie, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, will be completely animated and will open in theaters Aug. 15. A TV series of the same name will air on the Cartoon Network and TNT this fall. “I felt there were a lot more Star Wars stories left to tell,” said Lucas in a statement. “I was eager to start telling some of them through animation and, at the same time, push the animation forward.” (AP)
What the commentators said
“This is incredible news for any Star Wars fan,” said Michael Prince in Blogcritics Magazine. Not only do we get a new movie, but we’re blessed with “an actual Lucas-produced CG series on television,” too. And “to top it off, it looks amazing”—it’s “unique” and really “seems to fit the series.”
Are you kidding? said ActressArchives.com. “George Lucas doesn’t know when to quit adding on to the lore and universe that is Star Wars.” As far as the look goes, the characters have a “stylized marionette-like appearance.” And what’s Lucas thinking releasing a new Star Wars movie the same year that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull hits theaters?
Well, at least “Lucas is neither directing nor writing the episodes,” said Vic Holtrman in the blog Screen Rant. His strength is as “a tech-geek in charge of the visual/CGI effects.” It’s too bad that Genndy Tartakovsky won’t be involved, though—he did a good job directing some of the episodes of the first Clone Wars TV series.
“In the grand scheme of things,” said the blog Supernaut, an animated Star Wars series is “not that big of a deal.” Lucas “didn’t rape my childhood” or “ruin the series for all time,” and “I don’t need therapy to get through this.” The “Star Wars I know and love is still there and—re-mastered or not—so are my memories.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week