Good Day, Bad Day
A costly view, sweet hearts
OOD DAY FOR: A costly view, after a Chicago-based investment firm put the 138-acre plot of hillside property behind L.A.’s iconic Hollywood sign on the market, for $22 million. Los Angeles officials, who have been raising money to buy the plot—appraised at $6 million—for years, were not amused. But it has a great view, and “the phone’s ringing,” said Sarah Blanchard at the listing agency, Teles Properties. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Sweet hearts, as Maryland-based importer Sherwood Brands recalled Chinese-made Valentine’s Day lollipops after metal fragments were found in at least two of them. The two Pokemon lollipops were sold in different Dollar General stores near Lakeland, Fla. One contained a staple, the other part of a razor blade. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week