Good Day, Bad Day
A costly view, sweet hearts
OOD DAY FOR: A costly view, after a Chicago-based investment firm put the 138-acre plot of hillside property behind L.A.’s iconic Hollywood sign on the market, for $22 million. Los Angeles officials, who have been raising money to buy the plot—appraised at $6 million—for years, were not amused. But it has a great view, and “the phone’s ringing,” said Sarah Blanchard at the listing agency, Teles Properties. (The Washington Post, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Sweet hearts, as Maryland-based importer Sherwood Brands recalled Chinese-made Valentine’s Day lollipops after metal fragments were found in at least two of them. The two Pokemon lollipops were sold in different Dollar General stores near Lakeland, Fla. One contained a staple, the other part of a razor blade. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week