The Bottom Line
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Weak holiday sales and a broader drop in consumer spending have prompted other retailers to cut staff and close stores. “You’ll see a record number of bankruptcies over the next 50, 100, and 1,000 days,” said Burt P. Flickinger III at retail consulting firm Strategic Resource Group. “Consumers are cash and credit constrained. They’re out of purchasing power.” (AP in Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Lessons from Lincoln: 5 leadership tips history and science agree on
- How Captain America won over China
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week