The Bottom Line
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say thatâ€™s just the tip of the iceberg.
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Weak holiday sales and a broader drop in consumer spending have prompted other retailers to cut staff and close stores. “You’ll see a record number of bankruptcies over the next 50, 100, and 1,000 days,” said Burt P. Flickinger III at retail consulting firm Strategic Resource Group. “Consumers are cash and credit constrained. They’re out of purchasing power.” (AP in Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week