The Bottom Line
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say thatâ€™s just the tip of the iceberg.
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Weak holiday sales and a broader drop in consumer spending have prompted other retailers to cut staff and close stores. “You’ll see a record number of bankruptcies over the next 50, 100, and 1,000 days,” said Burt P. Flickinger III at retail consulting firm Strategic Resource Group. “Consumers are cash and credit constrained. They’re out of purchasing power.” (AP in Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
Subscribe to the Week