The Bottom Line
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say thatâ€™s just the tip of the iceberg.
Retailers Sharper Image and Lillian Vernon filed for bankruptcy protection, and analysts say that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Weak holiday sales and a broader drop in consumer spending have prompted other retailers to cut staff and close stores. “You’ll see a record number of bankruptcies over the next 50, 100, and 1,000 days,” said Burt P. Flickinger III at retail consulting firm Strategic Resource Group. “Consumers are cash and credit constrained. They’re out of purchasing power.” (AP in Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- Confronting our twisted relationship with food
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
Subscribe to the Week