Good Day, Bad Day
Teamwork, good fortune
OOD DAY FOR: Teamwork, after it took 28 people at French bank Societe Generale 16 days to discover the massive fraudulent trades by banker Jerome Kerviel. The bank ignored 75 warnings about his activities before nailing a confession, according to an internal bank probe. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Good fortune, after a New York man was arrested on grand larceny charges for withdrawing more than $2 million from his bank, even though his account only contained about $800. The man shares a name with an executive whose name is listed on the account of property management firm Woodlawn Trustees Inc., and a bank teller mistakenly gave him access to Woodlawn’s money. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week