Good Day, Bad Day
Teamwork, good fortune
OOD DAY FOR: Teamwork, after it took 28 people at French bank Societe Generale 16 days to discover the massive fraudulent trades by banker Jerome Kerviel. The bank ignored 75 warnings about his activities before nailing a confession, according to an internal bank probe. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Good fortune, after a New York man was arrested on grand larceny charges for withdrawing more than $2 million from his bank, even though his account only contained about $800. The man shares a name with an executive whose name is listed on the account of property management firm Woodlawn Trustees Inc., and a bank teller mistakenly gave him access to Woodlawn’s money. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week