Good Day, Bad Day
Teamwork, good fortune
OOD DAY FOR: Teamwork, after it took 28 people at French bank Societe Generale 16 days to discover the massive fraudulent trades by banker Jerome Kerviel. The bank ignored 75 warnings about his activities before nailing a confession, according to an internal bank probe. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Good fortune, after a New York man was arrested on grand larceny charges for withdrawing more than $2 million from his bank, even though his account only contained about $800. The man shares a name with an executive whose name is listed on the account of property management firm Woodlawn Trustees Inc., and a bank teller mistakenly gave him access to Woodlawn’s money. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week