Good Day, Bad Day
Teamwork, good fortune
OOD DAY FOR: Teamwork, after it took 28 people at French bank Societe Generale 16 days to discover the massive fraudulent trades by banker Jerome Kerviel. The bank ignored 75 warnings about his activities before nailing a confession, according to an internal bank probe. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Good fortune, after a New York man was arrested on grand larceny charges for withdrawing more than $2 million from his bank, even though his account only contained about $800. The man shares a name with an executive whose name is listed on the account of property management firm Woodlawn Trustees Inc., and a bank teller mistakenly gave him access to Woodlawn’s money. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week