Good Day, Bad Day
Teamwork, good fortune
OOD DAY FOR: Teamwork, after it took 28 people at French bank Societe Generale 16 days to discover the massive fraudulent trades by banker Jerome Kerviel. The bank ignored 75 warnings about his activities before nailing a confession, according to an internal bank probe. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Good fortune, after a New York man was arrested on grand larceny charges for withdrawing more than $2 million from his bank, even though his account only contained about $800. The man shares a name with an executive whose name is listed on the account of property management firm Woodlawn Trustees Inc., and a bank teller mistakenly gave him access to Woodlawn’s money. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week