Good Day, Bad Day
A coffee break, gala gazing
OOD DAY FOR: A coffee break, as all 7,100 U.S. Starbucks locations are closing for three hours today, starting at 5:30 p.m. local time, for barista training. The “Art of Espresso” session is part of CEO Howard Schultz’s efforts to revitalize the company. “We don’t have to be retrained because we’re really good at what we do,” joked Amy Bates at Stell’s Coffee and Tea in Redlands, Calif. (The San Bernardino Sun)
BAD DAY FOR: Gala gazing, as Sunday’s broadcast of the Academy Awards was the lowest-rated in Oscars history. An average of 32 million people tuned in, lower than the 33 million who watched in 2003, right after the U.S. invaded Iraq. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week