Good Day, Bad Day
A coffee break, gala gazing
OOD DAY FOR: A coffee break, as all 7,100 U.S. Starbucks locations are closing for three hours today, starting at 5:30 p.m. local time, for barista training. The “Art of Espresso” session is part of CEO Howard Schultz’s efforts to revitalize the company. “We don’t have to be retrained because we’re really good at what we do,” joked Amy Bates at Stell’s Coffee and Tea in Redlands, Calif. (The San Bernardino Sun)
BAD DAY FOR: Gala gazing, as Sunday’s broadcast of the Academy Awards was the lowest-rated in Oscars history. An average of 32 million people tuned in, lower than the 33 million who watched in 2003, right after the U.S. invaded Iraq. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week