Good Day, Bad Day
A coffee break, gala gazing
OOD DAY FOR: A coffee break, as all 7,100 U.S. Starbucks locations are closing for three hours today, starting at 5:30 p.m. local time, for barista training. The “Art of Espresso” session is part of CEO Howard Schultz’s efforts to revitalize the company. “We don’t have to be retrained because we’re really good at what we do,” joked Amy Bates at Stell’s Coffee and Tea in Redlands, Calif. (The San Bernardino Sun)
BAD DAY FOR: Gala gazing, as Sunday’s broadcast of the Academy Awards was the lowest-rated in Oscars history. An average of 32 million people tuned in, lower than the 33 million who watched in 2003, right after the U.S. invaded Iraq. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- California's epic drought
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week