Good Day, Bad Day
A coffee break, gala gazing
OOD DAY FOR: A coffee break, as all 7,100 U.S. Starbucks locations are closing for three hours today, starting at 5:30 p.m. local time, for barista training. The “Art of Espresso” session is part of CEO Howard Schultz’s efforts to revitalize the company. “We don’t have to be retrained because we’re really good at what we do,” joked Amy Bates at Stell’s Coffee and Tea in Redlands, Calif. (The San Bernardino Sun)
BAD DAY FOR: Gala gazing, as Sunday’s broadcast of the Academy Awards was the lowest-rated in Oscars history. An average of 32 million people tuned in, lower than the 33 million who watched in 2003, right after the U.S. invaded Iraq. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week