Good Day, Bad Day
An after-work drink, springing forward
OOD DAY FOR: An after-work drink, as Jack Daniel’s master distiller Jimmy Bedford is retiring, effective March 31, after 40 years at the whiskey maker. Bedford is Jack Daniel’s sixth master distiller; the brand was registered in 1866. During Bedford’s 20 years as master distiller, Jack Daniel’s went from selling 4 million cases a year to more than 9.3 million cases. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Springing forward, after a new study found that daylight savings may waste energy, not conserve it, as intended. The study looked at energy use in Indiana, which adopted statewide daylight savings in 2006—Indiana residents collectively paid an extra $8.6 billion in electricity bills after the switch, as greater air conditioning overwhelmed the savings from less lighting. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week