Good Day, Bad Day
An after-work drink, springing forward
OOD DAY FOR: An after-work drink, as Jack Daniel’s master distiller Jimmy Bedford is retiring, effective March 31, after 40 years at the whiskey maker. Bedford is Jack Daniel’s sixth master distiller; the brand was registered in 1866. During Bedford’s 20 years as master distiller, Jack Daniel’s went from selling 4 million cases a year to more than 9.3 million cases. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Springing forward, after a new study found that daylight savings may waste energy, not conserve it, as intended. The study looked at energy use in Indiana, which adopted statewide daylight savings in 2006—Indiana residents collectively paid an extra $8.6 billion in electricity bills after the switch, as greater air conditioning overwhelmed the savings from less lighting. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Obama's next steps on immigration
Subscribe to the Week