Good Day, Bad Day
An after-work drink, springing forward
OOD DAY FOR: An after-work drink, as Jack Daniel’s master distiller Jimmy Bedford is retiring, effective March 31, after 40 years at the whiskey maker. Bedford is Jack Daniel’s sixth master distiller; the brand was registered in 1866. During Bedford’s 20 years as master distiller, Jack Daniel’s went from selling 4 million cases a year to more than 9.3 million cases. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Springing forward, after a new study found that daylight savings may waste energy, not conserve it, as intended. The study looked at energy use in Indiana, which adopted statewide daylight savings in 2006—Indiana residents collectively paid an extra $8.6 billion in electricity bills after the switch, as greater air conditioning overwhelmed the savings from less lighting. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How Rand Paul's GOP opponents will use his minority outreach against him
Subscribe to the Week