Why Rice's vampires will return
Novelist Anne Rice says she'll write one more 'Vampire Chronicles' book despite her 2005 vow to put the characters to rest and focus on Christian fiction, said Carolyn Sayre in Time. "Turns out, vampires aren't easy to kill." Fans will probably
Novelist Anne Rice told Time magazine that she would write one more Vampire Chronicles book despite her 2005 vow to put the characters to rest and focus on Christian fiction. “"When I published my first book about the Lord I said I would never write about those characters again," Rice said. "But I have one more book that I would really like to write. It will be a story that I need to tell."
What the commentators said
“Turns out, vampires aren't that easy to kill,” said Carolyn Sayre in Time. When Rice abandoned her gothic novel series after “returning to the church,” she told Christianity Today that she would “never go back, not even if they say you will be financially ruined. I would be a fool for all eternity to turn my back on God like that." She explains her decision by saying she won’t be writing about vampires in the same way, but “it is difficult to see it as anything but a change of heart.”
Even if Rice’s decision to go “back on her word” makes sense to her, said the entertainment and gossip blog PerezHilton.com, fans will probably end up wishing she had left the vampire Lestat in his grave. “The Queen of the Damned author justifies her decision by saying the book will have a definite Christian framework and a focus on the theme of redemption.” In other words, it will be a disappointment for Rice’s old fans.
Don’t be so sure, said the blog AvidBookReader.com. Rice told Time she wanted to give Lestat “one more book” because she had a story she “needed to tell.” She’s been writing about the life of Jesus since she found God and abandoned the undead, and she wants to put her old characters in a “biblical framework” and let Lestat wrestle with the existence of God. “It’ll be interesting to see how this last book will unfold.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week