Best Business Commentary
Surely Ben Bernanke and his colleagues remember the stagflation of the 1970s, says Allan H. Meltzer in The Wall Street Journal. Bernanke is probably looking a little farther back, to the 1930s, says Peter Coy in BusinessWeek.com.
hat worries Bernanke?
Surely Ben Bernanke “and his colleagues remember what happened in the 1970s,” says Allan H. Meltzer in The Wall Street Journal. The Fed’s “mistaken behavior” in that period, spurred by political pressures, led to “inflation and stagnant growth: stagflation.” Although Fed officials “repeatedly promised themselves” they would work to lower inflation, those “promises were forgotten” when unemployment ticked up. Bernanke indicated to Congress he would similarly put recession concerns before inflation. If the ’70s taught us anything, it’s this: “A country that will not accept the possibility of a small recession will end up having a big one.”
Bernanke is probably looking a little farther back, to the 1930s, says Peter Coy in BusinessWeek.com. Before becoming Fed chairman, his academic work was on the Great Depression. “Oddly enough,” the Depression “posed a similar dilemma” between growth and inflation. The parallels are “inexact,” but when the newly formed Fed should have cut rates aggressively in 1929, it “kept them high and even raised them” in the “mistaken belief” that inflation was the bigger risk. Whatever Bernanke does now “won’t be completely satisfactory,” but if he follows his Depression-shaped “intuitions,” you’ll see more rate cuts ahead.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
Subscribe to the Week