The bottom line
The head of sovereign wealth fund Dubai International Capital LLC said that Citigroup will need more capital from outside investors to ride out the credit crunch . . .
The head of sovereign wealth fund Dubai International Capital LLC said that Citigroup will need more capital from outside investors to ride out the credit crunch. Dubai’s neighbor, Abu Dhabi, invested $7.5 billion in Citigroup in November; Citi secured $14.5 billion two months later. “It will take a lot more than that to rescue Citi and other financial institutions,” said Dubai International CEO Sameer al-Ansari. Sovereign wealth funds have about $3.2 trillion in assets. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
Subscribe to the Week