Best business commentary
“Home prices are tumbling,” says Robert Samuelson in The Washington Post, and all we hear is: “Gloom. Doom. Calamity.” When you apply for a job, be aware that “hiring managers are increasingly using the Web as a supplement to your paper resume,” says Mone
Let the market deal with housing
“Home prices are tumbling,” says Robert Samuelson in The Washington Post, and all we hear is: “Gloom. Doom. Calamity.” But falling home prices are “actually good news,” and “the sooner prices fall, the better” for the housing market. While many economists “who should know better” blame the price drop on an oversupply of houses, the real problem is that “many prospective customers can’t buy at today’s prices.” No one knows how much prices have to drop, as there’s “no national housing market,” but a 20 percent drop would still only put prices at 2004 levels. While this may seem “cruel,” remember that “by definition, the ’housing bubble’ meant that home prices got too high.”
Employment and your permanent e-record
When you apply for a job, be aware that “hiring managers are increasingly using the Web as a supplement to your paper resume,” says Money Magazine’s Joe Light in CNNMoney.com. This “unauthorized biography” of you compiled through blog postings, Facebook entries, and other additions to your “permanent worldwide record” can have “a devastating career impact.” You don’t have much control over “your digital doppelganger,” but privacy expert Daniel Solove suggests that you Google yourself before an interview. If you can’t get offending sites to remove information about you, you can at least prepare an answer for any controversial chapters in your digital bio.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week