Good Day, Bad Day
Amusing foreigners, bad drivers
GOOD DAY FOR: Amusing foreigners, as U.S. theme park chain Six Flags signed up to help Dubai build a 5 million square foot amusement park in the giant Dubailand entertainment complex. It is Six Flags’ first project outside of the U.S. (Reuters) Separately, the struggling Hong Kong Disneyland is targeting China’s new generation of yuppies to reverse its fortunes. (AP in BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Bad drivers, after a AAA report found that traffic crashes cost Americans $164 billion a year. The costs, which are greater per person in small cities, include factors like property damage, medical and legal costs, lost wages, and traffic delays. Yet unlike bad traffic, AAA said, the 43,000 U.S. driving fatalities a year “barely registers as a blip in most people’s minds.” (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week