Good Day, Bad Day
Social bloodletting, the class of ‘07
GOOD DAY FOR: Social bloodletting, as Facebook is teaming up with the nonprofit Takes All Types to facilitate and coordinate blood donation, especially when there is a regional shortage. “We were reacting to our sense that most of what was on Facebook was too academic or frivolous,” said project instigator Ben Bergman. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: The class of ‘07, as 2008 college graduates face a much healthier job market. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, businesses plan to hire 16 percent more ‘08 grads than ‘07 ones, to replace retiring baby boomers. Along with higher starting salaries this year, 54 percent of employers said they would also offer signing bonuses. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week