Good Day, Bad Day
Social bloodletting, the class of ‘07
GOOD DAY FOR: Social bloodletting, as Facebook is teaming up with the nonprofit Takes All Types to facilitate and coordinate blood donation, especially when there is a regional shortage. “We were reacting to our sense that most of what was on Facebook was too academic or frivolous,” said project instigator Ben Bergman. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: The class of ‘07, as 2008 college graduates face a much healthier job market. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, businesses plan to hire 16 percent more ‘08 grads than ‘07 ones, to replace retiring baby boomers. Along with higher starting salaries this year, 54 percent of employers said they would also offer signing bonuses. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week