Why Presley won't be called fat
Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of the late Elvis Presley, is suing a British newspaper for publishing an article saying she her unhealthy eating is making her fat. "We can relate to her anger!" said Gawker. Presley is putting on pounds because she
Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of late singer Elvis Presley, this week sued British newspaper Daily Mail for publishing slanderous comments about her weight. The paper remarked upon Presley’s recent weight gain and attributed it to an unhealthy appetite when, in fact, Presley is pregnant. She claims the report forced her to publicize prematurely the baby she is having with her husband, music producer Michael Lockwood. (AP)
What the commentators said
“We can relate to her anger!” said the blog Gawker. Many women wait to announce a pregnancy until the second trimester, when the risk of miscarriage is lower. It’s her prerogative to publicize her pregnancy, not the media’s. “Leave Lisa Marie alone!”
But can she really sue Daily Mail for mistaking pregnancy as weight gain? said the Superficial blog. “I call Jennifer Love Hewitt fat all the time and she's yet to sue the pants off me.”
Anyway, the paper did not commit libel, said the blog Hollywood Grind. It reported Presley’s weight gain, and “women do gain weight when they get pregnant.” Her father also gained weight at around her age, which can lead to health problems, so it is a valid concern. “This might be a tough case to prove even in Great Britain.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week