Luciano Pavarotti was $24 million in debt when he died last year at age 71, according to court papers filed in an estate battle between the singer’s second wife and his children from his first marriage. Pavarotti was overdrawn at two banks and had a hefty mortgage. But he also had assets of $11 million and owned 18 costumes that he’d worn during performances, which could be auctioned for a fortune.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week