isitors to Amsterdam’s popular Vondelpark will soon be allowed to have sex in public, under new rules adopted by the city. That decision drew immediate protests from animal lovers, who were outraged that city officials also announced that dogs would no longer be allowed to roam in the popular park without leashes. Alderman Paul Van Grieken defended the new regulations, explaining that unlike free-roaming dogs, public sex “isn’t a nuisance for the other visitors, and gives a lot of pleasure to a certain group of people.”
Matthew McConaughey wants to name his son “Bud,” in honor of his favorite beer. The actor’s girlfriend, Camila Alves, is pregnant with their first child, and friends say that McConaughey is determined to follow the lead of his older brother and fellow beer drinker, Michael McConaughey, who named his second son “Miller Lyte.” Alves, however, is not enthusiastic about the idea. “Camila is pretty old-fashioned,” says a friend of the couple’s. “She hates the name.”
Britain’s Royal Opera House has withdrawn a poster promoting its production of Verdi’s Rigoletto, after one of the actors complained it made his genitals look too small. Argentina-born Juan Pablo di Pace, 28, agreed to pose nude for the photo, but was aghast when he saw the finished product, in which his genitals were airbrushed out of existence. “We had to do that,” explained a spokesman for the opera company, “because we are not allowed to display posters with nudity.” Nevertheless, the company has agreed to come up with a new poster.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
Subscribe to the Week