hether Democrats choose Sen. Hillary Clinton or Sen. Barack Obama to face Sen. John McCain in November, it will mark the first presidential election in the nation’s history pitting two sitting U.S. senators against each other. Only two sitting senators—John F. Kennedy in 1960 and Warren G. Harding in 1920—ever made it to the White House.
Los Angeles Times
AT&T now offers a tutorial that decodes the acronyms kids use when texting or IMing, some of which are meant to alert their friends about prying parental eyes. Among them: POS (“parent over shoulder”), PRW (“parents are watching”) and KPC (“keeping parents clueless”).
The New York Times
The sleeping little girl who was featured in Hillary Clinton’s recent “It’s 3 a.m.” campaign ad supports Barack Obama. She is Casey Knowles, 17, of Washington state, and the stock footage of her asleep was filmed eight years ago. “I’ve been campaigning for Barack Obama for a few months now,” she said. “I was actually a precinct captain at the caucuses.”
New York Daily News
After 15 consecutive years of growth, the number of college applicants is expected to level off next year and begin to decline.
The Washington Post
A record 56.7 million foreign tourists visited the U.S. last year, surpassing the previous record of 51.2 million set in 2000, according to the U.S. Commerce Department. Attracted partly by the bargains created by the falling dollar, tourists spent $122.7 billion here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week