hether Democrats choose Sen. Hillary Clinton or Sen. Barack Obama to face Sen. John McCain in November, it will mark the first presidential election in the nation’s history pitting two sitting U.S. senators against each other. Only two sitting senators—John F. Kennedy in 1960 and Warren G. Harding in 1920—ever made it to the White House.
Los Angeles Times
AT&T now offers a tutorial that decodes the acronyms kids use when texting or IMing, some of which are meant to alert their friends about prying parental eyes. Among them: POS (“parent over shoulder”), PRW (“parents are watching”) and KPC (“keeping parents clueless”).
The New York Times
The sleeping little girl who was featured in Hillary Clinton’s recent “It’s 3 a.m.” campaign ad supports Barack Obama. She is Casey Knowles, 17, of Washington state, and the stock footage of her asleep was filmed eight years ago. “I’ve been campaigning for Barack Obama for a few months now,” she said. “I was actually a precinct captain at the caucuses.”
New York Daily News
After 15 consecutive years of growth, the number of college applicants is expected to level off next year and begin to decline.
The Washington Post
A record 56.7 million foreign tourists visited the U.S. last year, surpassing the previous record of 51.2 million set in 2000, according to the U.S. Commerce Department. Attracted partly by the bargains created by the falling dollar, tourists spent $122.7 billion here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- Could better U.S.-Cuban relations thwart baseball's human smuggling problem?
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week