Going wild too soon
Ashley Alexandra Dupr
Ashley Alexandra Dupré, the high-priced call girl at the center of New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer's resignation, missed her chance to earn $1 million by appearing naked in a new magazine by "Girls Gone Wild" producer Joe Francis, after Francis discovered he already had sexy video footage of Dupré. Francis said that Dupré had joined his "Girls Gone Wild" tour bus in 2003, after getting thrown out of her hotel during her 18th birthday celebrations. (Los Angeles Times, free registration) "It's kind of like finding a winning lottery ticket in the cushions of your couch," Francis said. (AP in Yahoo! News)
What the commentators said
"Let this be a lesson ladies," said The Superficial blog. Appearing on "Girls Gone Wild" might "seem like a good idea," but it could be "poor business planning." If you happen to "become a prostitute and have sex with middle-aged men who turn out to be elected officials," you won't be able to "cash in" on your notoriety.
There were already reports that "Dupré's celebrity is allegedly about to end," said Ryan Tate in Gawker. Her song sales have "dried up" and "traffic to her MySpace page has slowed." But "too late for her to cash in"? "Really?" It seems "unlikely" that all "porn" opportunities "have passed Dupré by."
Well, she'd "better learn to grab the cash—fast," said Lukas Alpert in the New York Post. The offer from the "sultan of spring break" might now be void, but Larry Flynt's $1 million to appear in Hustler "still stands." Her "moment in the limelight" won't last forever, and if she wants to "cash in on her hot nights with the ex-governor," time is not on her side.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
Subscribe to the Week