Best business commentary
Is “another Great Depression” out there “lurking over the horizon”? says Michael A. Hiltzik in the Los Angeles Times. The “boom in affordable consumer electronics” is great, says Jennifer Openshaw in MarketWatch, but it has a downside . . .
The Great Recession
Is “another Great Depression” out there “lurking over the horizon”? says Michael A. Hiltzik in the Los Angeles Times. Certainly there are some “disquieting parallels” between today and the “global economic cataclysm of the 1930s,” at least “on the surface.” The “financial system is in disarray” and there are “enormous asset bubbles” popping. But there are “vast differences” that will probably hold this crisis to mere “recession.” Unemployment is low, for example, and the global economy is healthy. But the most important difference is that the government is now primed to step in and act, and has the powers to do so—even if many of them were rarely or “never used” until now.
Discarding gadgets greenly
The “boom in affordable consumer electronics” is great, says Jennifer Openshaw in MarketWatch, but it has a downside: the life cycles for our computers (now three years) and cell phones (two years) are “getting shorter and shorter.” But you “don’t have to—and shouldn’t—just throw those electronic products away.” E-waste contains toxic waste and also valuable materials that can be recovered. Stores like Staples, Best Buy, and Radio Shack take back some gadgets for recycling, and some manufacturers do, too—the EPA has a list. The Web sites for the Electronics Industry Alliance and Earth911 also have e-waste solutions. “It’s worth 15 minutes to check.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- 10 things the greatest leaders all have in common
Subscribe to the Week