The bottom line
Starbucks, facing flat customer growth and slumping share prices, unveiled several changes in business . . .
Starbucks, facing flat customer growth and slumping share prices, unveiled several changes in business plan. The changes include new automatic espresso machines that allow more customer interaction; a return to custom filled, not pre-sealed, coffee bags; a new daily coffee blend; a social networking site to glean customer ideas; and new perks for Starbucks Card users. Starbucks also announced its acquisition of Coffee Equipment Co., which makes the $11,000 Clover coffee machine. (The Seattle Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Puppies take the plunge
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week