How not to order a cheesesteak
Philadelphia's Commission on Human Relations ruled that a famous Philly cheesesteak shop didn't discriminate by asking customers to "please" order in English, said Gloria Campisi in the Philadelphia Daily News, and that amounted to "vindica
Philadelphia’s Commission on Human Relations on Wednesday dismissed a complaint filed last year after the owner of a famous Philly cheesesteak shop posted a sign asking customers to “please” speak English. The commission ruled that Joey Vento, owner of Geno’s Steaks, never suggested that he would refuse service to non-English speakers. The commission’s chairman filed a complaint saying Vento’s sign—which reads, “This is America. When ordering please speak English”—but Vento called the charge “ridiculous.” (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
What the commentators said
Finally, “vindication,” said Gloria Campisi in the Philadelphia Daily News. Vento always said he was only trying to make a political point as Mexican immigrants moved into the neighborhood around his shop. He said, after all, that he had nothing against immigrants, except illegals, but only wanted newcomers to learn the language of their adopted country as his family did when they came from Italy.
Well, he did say, “please,” said the Dethroner blog. And “it’s his shop.” But, with critics saying even a polite English-only message makes some people feel unwelcome, “I’m not sure how I stand on this.”
The sign clearly violates some basic rules of Business 101, said Misti Sandefur in the blog Ten Ways to Fail. Here’s one: “The customer is someone you have to put up with.” You’d think a business owner would want to make a connection with a new pool of potential customers, instead of chasing them away.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week