ood week for:
Tiger Woods, who won his fifth straight PGA tournament, bringing his career total to 64 wins. That ties him with Ben Hogan on the career victory list and leaves only two golfers, Sam Snead and Jack Nicklaus, with more wins.
Fruity bouquets, after Dutch wine taster Ilja Gort insured his nose for $8 million. The policy requires the lavishly bearded Gort to patronize only experienced barbers who can keep their razors steady near his valuable appendage.
Skepticism, after the U.K. Office of National Statistics found that only one-third of British citizens trust official statistics. Most said they assume the data is either manipulated for political purposes or misrepresented by the media.
Bad week for:
Smart bombs, after an Air National Guard pilot who was supposed drop a dummy bomb in a practice field in Kansas accidentally dropped it onto an apartment complex in Tulsa, damaging the building and knocking out power.
Popping the question, after Lefkos Hajji of London hid a $12,000 engagement ring in a helium balloon to present to his girlfriend, but then accidentally let go of it. “Now she is refusing to speak to me,” he said.
Absolution, after an Italian convict who was granted a papal audience for being a “model prisoner” escaped en route to the Vatican. Authorities said inmate Angelo Di Gennaro remained at large, but was not considered dangerous, only nervy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week