woman is recovering in a hospital after sitting on her boyfriend’s toilet for two years. Pam Babcock, 35, of Kansas, had been sitting on the toilet for so long that her skin had grown around the seat, which had to be detached from the commode and taken to the hospital with Babcock to be removed. Kory McFarren, 36, Babcock’s boyfriend of 16 years, says he begged her every day to leave the toilet, to which her reply was always the same: “Maybe tomorrow.”
Producers of the lucrative Harry Potter movies are worried that Daniel Radcliffe’s off-screen behavior may tarnish the wholesome image of the boy-wizard, says the London Sun. A source says that Radcliffe, 18, has been “having late nights out with stars like Kevin Spacey,” and has suddenly acquired a pack-a-day cigarette habit. Producers have asked Radcliffe not to smoke in public, but on the movie set, he’s a virtual chimney. “Every time they call ‘Cut,’ he lights up,” says the source. “It’s disgusting.”
A British woman who had a kidney transplant has acquired the donor’s highbrow taste. Cheryl Johnson, 37, a former nightclub bouncer, says she used to read only thrillers and pop-star autobiographies, but since receiving her new kidney has been devouring the works of Jane Austen and Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Although Johnson doesn’t know the identity of the deceased, 59-year-old donor, she thinks he may have been an Egyptologist. “I used to watch soaps,” she said. “Now I watch documentaries on the Egyptian Pyramids. I can’t get enough of them. It’s weird.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The end of academic freedom?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week