woman is recovering in a hospital after sitting on her boyfriend’s toilet for two years. Pam Babcock, 35, of Kansas, had been sitting on the toilet for so long that her skin had grown around the seat, which had to be detached from the commode and taken to the hospital with Babcock to be removed. Kory McFarren, 36, Babcock’s boyfriend of 16 years, says he begged her every day to leave the toilet, to which her reply was always the same: “Maybe tomorrow.”
Producers of the lucrative Harry Potter movies are worried that Daniel Radcliffe’s off-screen behavior may tarnish the wholesome image of the boy-wizard, says the London Sun. A source says that Radcliffe, 18, has been “having late nights out with stars like Kevin Spacey,” and has suddenly acquired a pack-a-day cigarette habit. Producers have asked Radcliffe not to smoke in public, but on the movie set, he’s a virtual chimney. “Every time they call ‘Cut,’ he lights up,” says the source. “It’s disgusting.”
A British woman who had a kidney transplant has acquired the donor’s highbrow taste. Cheryl Johnson, 37, a former nightclub bouncer, says she used to read only thrillers and pop-star autobiographies, but since receiving her new kidney has been devouring the works of Jane Austen and Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Although Johnson doesn’t know the identity of the deceased, 59-year-old donor, she thinks he may have been an Egyptologist. “I used to watch soaps,” she said. “Now I watch documentaries on the Egyptian Pyramids. I can’t get enough of them. It’s weird.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week