here are some 10 million visually impaired people in the U.S., including about 1.3 million who, like David Paterson, the new governor of New York, are legally blind. Despite laws making it illegal to discriminate against the blind, only about 30 percent of working-age blind people have jobs.
New York State lottery officials last week closed down betting on the number 871—the room in Washington, D.C.’s Mayflower Hotel wherein former Gov. Eliot Spitzer met with the prostitute named Kristen—because too many people were playing it.
New York Daily News
While polls show that just 1 percent of Americans say the vice presidential candidate influences their vote in a presidential race, history suggests voters might want to give that factor more consideration. Of the 46 vice presidents, 14 of them—or nearly one-third—became president. Nine moved up to the top job without being elected to it.
The New York Times
Most of the foreign jihadists who are blowing themselves up in suicide attacks in Iraq are single men in their late teens or early 20s who come from large, low-income families in which they struggled to be noticed, according to a U.S. military study of captured fighters. By traveling to Iraq and dying in an attack on the U.S., these young men hope to achieve glory back home.
Los Angeles Times
U.S. businesses lose between $800 million and $900 million every Friday the 13th because of increased absenteeism and people’s reluctance to travel or make decisions on that date, according to a new study in the Journal of Consumer Research. As many as 9 percent of Americans are said to be paraskevidekatriaphobics, or fearful of Friday the 13th.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week