Courtney Love: Expat?
Courtney Love, widow of Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain, has been shopping for a house in England and is planning to move there with her daughter, Frances Bean Cobain. Great, this is just what England needs, said the blog Ecorazzi. Maybe Love is really trying
Courtney Love, widow of Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain, has been shopping for a house in England and is planning to move there with her daughter, Frances Bean Cobain. The former front woman of the band Hole, who has done several stints in rehab for drug and alcohol abuse, said recently, “I am fed up with Los Angeles. It’s dirty and full of crazy people. I want a complete lifestyle change. People criticize Britain but it is still a cleaner, safer place to live than Hollywood.” (CNS)
What the commentators said
Great, this is just what England needs, said the blog Ecorazzi. “To everyone in the U.K., allow me to be Paul Revere for a moment: The Americans are coming! The Americans are coming! Hide your stereo, lock up your medicine cabinet and chain your teenage boys to their beds . . . COURTNEY LOVE IS ON HER WAY!”
People in L.A. are too crazy for Courtney Love? said the blog Dirty Laundry. “Excuse me for a minute while I choke on the irony.” But this is actually good news for the U.K.: “Amy Winehouse has been b-o-r-i-n-g lately. England needs a new crackwhore.”
Maybe Love is really trying to make a positive change, said Caroline Graham in the Daily Mail. She says she “wants to put her legendary wild lifestyle behind her and settle in the English countryside” because it’s a safer, healthier place for her and her daughter to live. But then again, she’s also “been romantically linked to a string of British men,” including “Steve Coogan and two of Kate Moss’s ex-boyfriends—model Jamie Burke and troubled Babyshambles singer Pete Doherty.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The week's best photojournalism
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week