Canseco book a personal vendetta?
In his new book 'Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and The Battle to Save Baseball,' former Major League Baseball player Jose Canseco claims that he introduced American League M.V.P. Alex Rodriquez to a steroid supplier. Well, Canseco
In his new book Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and The Battle to Save Baseball, former Major League Baseball player Jose Canseco claims that he introduced American League M.V.P. Alex Rodriquez to a steroid supplier. But some critics are questioning the book’s credibility, because in the past Canseco made it publicly known that he dislikes Rodriguez, and because Vindicated claims that A-Rod pursued Canseco’s wife. (AP)
What the commentators said
Well, Canseco’s attack on A-Rod isn’t too surprising, said Ken Davidoff in Newsday.com. “Since last summer,” Canseco had “hinted that he would go after Alex Rodriguez in his next book,” and sure enough, “baseball’s unwelcome whistle-blower has followed through on his threat.” He even seems to take “pleasure in taking on A-Rod.”
Which is just one of the reasons why Canseco’s new book shouldn’t be taken too seriously, said RotoWorld.com. The other reason being that all Canseco revealed was that he introduced A-Rod to a steroid supplier—“if that’s all Canseco has on Rodriguez, he probably should have kept his mouth shut this time. But he didn’t.”
But let’s not forget that Canseco does have some credibility, said Jack Curry in The New York Times. In his first book, Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant ’Roids, Smash Hits and How Baseball Got Big, he “accused his former teammates Mark McGwire, Juan Gonz
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week