22-year-old man who robbed a KFC fast-food restaurant at knifepoint was chased down by a 66-year-old great-grandmother. Mary Chamberlain, of Washington state, was driving past the restaurant when the manager rushed out and told her of the robbery. Chamberlain chased the fleeing bandit in her car, and then jumped out and wrestled him to the ground, keeping him pinned until police arrived. “I just kept getting tighter and tighter around his neck,” says Chamberlain.
Sarah Jessica Parker can’t believe that she was named the “Unsexiest Woman Alive.” The Sex and the City star is indignant that she beat out Madonna, Britney Spears, and Amy Winehouse for Maxim magazine’s dubious honor. “Do I have big fake boobs, Botox, and big lips?” she asks. “No. Do I fit some ideals of some men writing in a men’s magazine? Maybe not. [But] am I really the unsexiest woman in the world?”
A Chinese woman has been arrested for impersonating a male army officer in order to trick the families of young women out of money. One victim’s father says he was approached by a university-educated army major named Li Zhanyu, who “said he wanted to date my daughter, but first needed money to break up with his current girlfriend.” The family, impressed with the major’s status, paid more than $20,000, but Li then disappeared. Police tracked “him” down to an Internet cafe. Authorities suspect the “major,” whose real name is Li Zu, has been running the scam for at least two years.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week