22-year-old man who robbed a KFC fast-food restaurant at knifepoint was chased down by a 66-year-old great-grandmother. Mary Chamberlain, of Washington state, was driving past the restaurant when the manager rushed out and told her of the robbery. Chamberlain chased the fleeing bandit in her car, and then jumped out and wrestled him to the ground, keeping him pinned until police arrived. “I just kept getting tighter and tighter around his neck,” says Chamberlain.
Sarah Jessica Parker can’t believe that she was named the “Unsexiest Woman Alive.” The Sex and the City star is indignant that she beat out Madonna, Britney Spears, and Amy Winehouse for Maxim magazine’s dubious honor. “Do I have big fake boobs, Botox, and big lips?” she asks. “No. Do I fit some ideals of some men writing in a men’s magazine? Maybe not. [But] am I really the unsexiest woman in the world?”
A Chinese woman has been arrested for impersonating a male army officer in order to trick the families of young women out of money. One victim’s father says he was approached by a university-educated army major named Li Zhanyu, who “said he wanted to date my daughter, but first needed money to break up with his current girlfriend.” The family, impressed with the major’s status, paid more than $20,000, but Li then disappeared. Police tracked “him” down to an Internet cafe. Authorities suspect the “major,” whose real name is Li Zu, has been running the scam for at least two years.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
Subscribe to the Week