Jogging through San Diego
Strap on your running shoes, said Hugo Martin in the Los Angeles Times. Instead of seeing San Diego from “a stuffy tour bus,” you can take in the city’s sights and sounds while also “burning off unwanted pounds.” An hour-long running tour costs $60 and begins at 7 a.m. My guide and I started our 6.7-mile run in the Gaslamp Quarter, heading down nearly empty streets to the harbor. Soon we passed the legendary Midway aircraft carrier and the 1863 windjammer Star of India. Circling back, we jogged past the Victorian-era Horton Grand Hotel. That’s where I hit the wall, “and the wall hit back.” Trotting down crowded Fifth Avenue, we navigated our way toward the old theater district and passed a saloon once owned by Wyatt Earp. Once finished, I hungrily put back all the calories I’d lost by eating a breakfast waffle “the size of a Frisbee.”
Fishing and paddling in the Ozarks
The Ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas are the only mountain range between the Rockies and the Appalachians, said Ryan Bradley in National Geographic Adventure. But a trip here “isn’t about altitude—it’s about atmosphere.” Traditions include mushroom foraging, mountain music, roadside smokehouses, and fly-fishing in rivers where “the current is swift and the trout are plentiful.” The place to begin a tour of the area is the 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa in Eureka Springs, Ark., where you can arrange “to cast flies for 20-pound trout by the light of the moon.” The Blue Buck Knob Scenic Byway runs for 24 miles through the Mark Twain National Forest to Willow Springs, Mo. At Big Spring Lodge on the Current River, canoes are available for a “sunset paddle.” The road north eventually leads to 1,702-foot Bell Mountain, whose summit hikers “can enjoy in solitude.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week