Good Day, Bad Day
Saying goodbye, acting united
GOOD DAY FOR: Saying goodbye, after Aloha Airlines is closing up shop today after 62 years, halting all passenger service two weeks after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Aloha blamed its demise on rising fuel costs and “predatory pricing” by Mesa Airline’s go! subsidiary, which started serving Hawaii in 2006. go! lost $20 million in its first 16 months. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Acting united, after the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists union broke from a 27-year agreement to jointly negotiate labor contracts with the larger Screen Actors Guild. AFTRA is eager to reach an agreement with Hollywood producers, and a swift deal could weaken SAG’s bargaining power. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Obama's next steps on immigration
Subscribe to the Week