Good Day, Bad Day
Saying goodbye, acting united
GOOD DAY FOR: Saying goodbye, after Aloha Airlines is closing up shop today after 62 years, halting all passenger service two weeks after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Aloha blamed its demise on rising fuel costs and “predatory pricing” by Mesa Airline’s go! subsidiary, which started serving Hawaii in 2006. go! lost $20 million in its first 16 months. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Acting united, after the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists union broke from a 27-year agreement to jointly negotiate labor contracts with the larger Screen Actors Guild. AFTRA is eager to reach an agreement with Hollywood producers, and a swift deal could weaken SAG’s bargaining power. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week