Good Day, Bad Day
Saying goodbye, acting united
GOOD DAY FOR: Saying goodbye, after Aloha Airlines is closing up shop today after 62 years, halting all passenger service two weeks after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Aloha blamed its demise on rising fuel costs and “predatory pricing” by Mesa Airline’s go! subsidiary, which started serving Hawaii in 2006. go! lost $20 million in its first 16 months. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Acting united, after the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists union broke from a 27-year agreement to jointly negotiate labor contracts with the larger Screen Actors Guild. AFTRA is eager to reach an agreement with Hollywood producers, and a swift deal could weaken SAG’s bargaining power. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week