Good Day, Bad Day
Saying goodbye, acting united
GOOD DAY FOR: Saying goodbye, after Aloha Airlines is closing up shop today after 62 years, halting all passenger service two weeks after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Aloha blamed its demise on rising fuel costs and “predatory pricing” by Mesa Airline’s go! subsidiary, which started serving Hawaii in 2006. go! lost $20 million in its first 16 months. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Acting united, after the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists union broke from a 27-year agreement to jointly negotiate labor contracts with the larger Screen Actors Guild. AFTRA is eager to reach an agreement with Hollywood producers, and a swift deal could weaken SAG’s bargaining power. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week